"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Rambling: So it begins

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.
~St. Francis of Assisi

St. Francis also impored Christians to "preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." This is exactly what this summer is about for myself and my team. Living as St. Francis prayed -living selflessly- is radical, and the world cannot ignore it. It is a life lived beyond one's self; it is the life Jesus lived. No one is perfect, and therefore such a life must be sought after intentionally. But living in such a way shows others Christ, and glorifies Him.

I am still learning to preach the Gospel without using words. There are times when I am so overwhelmed by the realization of His love and sacrifice that I want to shout it from the rooftops, but there are other times when I am so wrapped up in myself and my own life that I lose sight of the beauty of grace. This summer I pray that I will continue to learn to live beyond myself: to put others first, to meet people where they are at, to forgive, to find joy always.

Colossians 3:1-4 says "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not earthly things. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory." Each day this summer, my teammates and I will die to self and set our minds on things above in order to see Christ glorified and to spread His message.

Prayer requests:


  • Protection against temptation

  • Continuing strength: mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually

  • That we each seek God's will in all situations

Thanks much!

No comments:

Post a Comment